Nutrition Facts Labels 101
The standardized measure reflects the amount of food people typically consume, but not necessarily a recommendation for how much you should eat. You’ll see our Keto Pint ice cream pint labels reflect 2/3 cup (3 servings per container) and our ice cream bar labels reflect one bar.
The main portion of the label includes all essential nutrients like fat, carbohydrates, and proteins.
- Protein: Aids in growth and maintenance of your tissues. You’ll feel full longer if you choose foods with high amounts of protein.
- Added Sugars, Saturated Fats, and Sodium: Typically, overconsumed and can lead to cardiovascular diseases.
- Net Carbs: If you are following the Keto diet, you must consume a limited number of carbs daily. The Keto diet follows net carbs, or the amount of carbs your body digests. Net Carbs are calculated by subtracting the grams of dietary fiber and sugar alcohols from carbohydrates. Our ice cream only contains 3G net carbs or less per serving!
- Complex Carbs: Packed with more nutrients and fiber; complex carbs are the best option for maintaining a healthy weight.
Not all sugars are created equal! There are typically a variety of key callouts on labels for sugars, including:
- Added Sugars: Steer clear! Added sugars don’t come from natural sources and are typically derived from artificial sweeteners. Keto Foods does not add sugars to any of their products!
- Sugar Alcohol: Generally containing less calories than added sugars. Sugar alcohols significantly impact blood sugar levels less, making them a suitable alternative for people with diabetes and/or looking to consume a no-added sugar diet.
- Natural Sweeteners: Keto Foods uses Monk Fruit, a natural sweetener that does not add calories.
Percent Daily Value
The guide to the nutrients of food based on the standard American diet. Generally, nutrients at 5% or below is considered low, while 20% or more is considered high. It’s best to choose foods high in Vitamin D, dietary fiber, calcium, potassium and iron.
Taking note of these simple tips, will be beneficial in supporting your health and wellness journey. Here at Keto Foods, we strive to help you better understand the products you are putting in your body, so you can make the best choices for you and your family.
- The three main parts of a nutritional label are: serving size, macronutrients, and percent daily value
- Serving sizes differ for every product
- Macronutrients include: protein (higher amounts will make you feel fuller), carbohydrates, and fats
- Be aware of added sugars
- Choose foods with high levels of Vitamin D, dietary fiber, calcium, potassium, and iron